Background

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Just Cruisin'

Another cruise? Didn't we just do one last April? Yes, in fact, we did. We went for our honeymoon. And we went on another one in January! It may seem crazy, yes, even a little to me. Ryan lost his job in November, and so we go on a cruise. Well, sort of. We bought Five Star Painting and they have an annual conference every year. This year it started in Tampa, and then we all got on a cruise boat and held the rest of the conference on the sea. So it was for work? Absolutely. Work, with a fair amount of play time. :) That's what I'm talking about.

After we finished visiting my friends in Sarasota, we drove back up to Tampa. We had a couple events for the conference on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Then they shuttled us all to the port to get on the Norwegian Dawn. (With the recent events on Carnival's boat, I'm so glad we were on Norwegian!) It was a nice boat. More elegant than the Carnival boat we were on for our honeymoon. That one had a lot of Vegas style neon lights. This was for a bit more upscale crowd I think. Also, the average age on the boat was probably 65. So, a lot different demographic.

Here's our boat. We are docked at Roatan, Honduras. 
The days we were at sea, Ryan had classes pretty much the whole day. Most of the wives didn't go to any of the work stuff, but I went to most of it. I cut out sometimes though when I felt to tired, or too sun-deprived. :) Most of the cruise it was overcast and even a little rainy, so the last day when we had sun, I wanted a little of that. The classes were great and we learned a lot about our new business. The days that we were in ports, there was nothing structured by the company and we had 4 days of playtime! Although, we usually were doing our adventures with other franchisees as well. It really was a great thing because we got to know people on more personal levels and there was a lot of informal opportunity to learn from the zees (short for franchisees). We could ask individual questions and get experience, ideas, opinions, and advice from many different people. It really was invaluable. Now when we have questions, we have a ton more resources because we are friends with people in the business all over the country.

 Ok, so the business aspect was great, but let's get on to the fun stuff! That makes for a much better post than a recap of paint products or marketing tactics. Our first stop was Roatan, Honduras. I think it was my favorite of the ports. It was super poor, but just so beautiful. It's pretty mind-blowing to see how people live. I'd love to just make tons of money and then come down and help the people learn how to improve their lives. It's a tiny island 40 miles off the coast of mainland Honduras, and it is all jungle. We took a van up to the top of a mountain and did a zipline trip through the rain forest  almost to the beach. it's over 2 miles of zipline.


Places like this made Ryan and I long for the day when we to can build a sweet treehouse. It's kind of a lifelong goal we've both always had!
Our guides taught us to do some sweet tricks, like hanging upside down!
On the second to the last line they clipped us in together and snapped a "couples picture" for us. 


Once we made it to the bottom, they took us in the van the rest of the way to the beach. We had an amazing lunch there (I've never had rice and beans that tasted so good!) and then strolled the beach until it was time to head back to the ship. 


Our guide here was a 16 year old kid, who we both thought was actually 11 or 12, he was so little! But he shared with us a lot of interesting things about the island, (pirate stories!) and gave us a great tour as we drove. He suggested we try the iguana, apparently an island special, but we opted for something different. Maybe next time.

The next day we went with a huge group of Five Star people on an ATV and cave tubing adventure in Belize. To get to Belize City from the cruise ship you have to take a tender (small boat) a couple miles to the shore because the water is too shallow for the cruise ship to dock. The city is pretty run-down. We saw the Church building there and it was by far the nicest building in the town. No wonder I've always heard about how in South and Central America the church buildings are often surrounded by a fence and barbed wire. That was true here. It's really just to protect and preserve it. We took a bus for an hour or so to "the palapa" where we rode ATVs In this case, it was actually a great thing that it had been rainy. It meant the jungle was mud-tastic! We were going through HUGE mud puddles and came out a wonderful mess.

Some of our Five Star friends. This is for reference to show how muddy it was!
Look how muddy we were after riding through the jungle!
The "Butts Up" van that took us on our adventures. 
We hadn't really planned on the ATV trip, be kind of got peer pressured into it. We thought we were just doing the tubing, but then when we were on the bus, found out everyone else was doing both. Rather than get separated from our group. We joined up. I'm glad we did because after ziplining, it was my next favorite activity we did. When we finished up, we boarded the bus again and headed to the river for tubing. This river goes through limestone caves that are pretty cool to look at. Pictures of this aren't great because it's so dark, but here's a few anyways.

Here's half the group as we are getting ready to push off. 

Ryan loved it. We are just coming out of the cave. 

We got to the end and were blinded by the sunlight. The caves were cool, but the beautiful jungle was incredible too! 
When we got to the end, several of the guys jumped off this point. Ryan and I opted not to because it was kind of windy and so we were freezing after having been in the water already. 
They took us back to the palapa for lunch and they fed us tamales. I love tamales so much! Then we headed back to the boat and boarded the ship.

The next day we docked in Costa Maya, Mexico. I'm glad Ryan speaks Spanish, because our van driver there spoke very little English. We took a big group of Five Star people to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins. Our guide found that Ryan spoke Spanish, so he asked him to sit up front with him. That was fun. We asked him all kinds of questions that other people on the van had about stuff. My college Spanish is a bit rusty, but I was able to understand probably 30-40% of the conversation between him and Ryan. Here's the ruins.

Here's one of the biggest temples at the ruin.


This cool tree was in a central area between some of the temples. The way the area was, it looked like it was kind of a common area at some point. 
The last day we docked at Cozumel, Mexico. We actually didn't take any pictures there. It was the first day that way actually just really nice and sunny. We decided to just go to the beach and not be big spenders on any more excursions. I tried to get a tan, and Ryan tried to hide under a towel. And yet, he got burned a bit, and I got nothing. We went to the same beach as we had gone to the previous year, so there wasn't too much new about it, but it was super relaxing.

We also really enjoyed our evenings on the ship. Company sponsored cocktail hour provided us with some nice virgin pina coladas. (Actually funny because there's a large contingency of LDS members who are in the company, so I think the bar was serving way more virgin drinks than they were used to!) The boat put on some great shows. The best one by far was the aerialists. It was kind of cirque du soliel style performing, and it was absolutely phenomenal. There was just one man and one woman, but they did some incredible things. It amazes me that one can train a body to do those things. We also really loved just walking up on deck in the evenings. At that time, it's pretty empty. Most people are at dinner, at shows, or in the casino, so the upper decks are pretty deserted, which makes for a wonderful stroll. I was so relaxed on the trip I almost hated to come back and jump back into the stress of real life. But now it's time to put into practice everything we learned. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Fun trip; I love seeing the pictures. I'm also way jealous of your Iron Chef night. I've always wanted to do that.

    ReplyDelete