Background

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Our baby is a...

GIRL! We found out last week that our little baby is a girl! I was kind of surprised because I'd mostly just assumed we'd have a boy. I'd accepted that I was probably going to have a family of all boys. So to find out the first was a girl was not what I expected. Except that during the week before we found out, Ryan and I both had dreams about having a girl. Then the day before we went into the doctor I just had this feeling that the baby wanted to be known and that she was just as anxious as us to have us find out that she was a girl.

I'm amazed that the doctor can tell much from the ultrasound pictures. There were a few things I recognized. Like the head. And he pointed out the heart, which that was pretty amazing to see the 4 chambers and watch it beat. But a lot of the things he pointed out, seemed unidentifiable to me. I struggled to see when he said "this is the thigh," much less "you've got a girl!"

Because I was so certain that we'd have a little boy, we spent a lot of time brainstorming ideas for names. I feel like boys names are difficult. I wanted something that wasn't weird, but not too generic. And I'm opposed to unigender names, and want names for boys that aren't going to become girl names in the next few years. I kept saying that boys' names are so hard, and that there are tons of pretty girls' names. I figured since there are lots of great girls' names, I'd work on the harder one. So... we had to start over on names. But as I expected, in about an hour or 2 we had a pretty good list of names we like. We'll narrow it down over the next few months as we fill the baby room with pink.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray!!!!! I am still so excited for you. And, I've been shopping for you but I know pink isn't necessarily your favorite color like it is mine (my little miss' wardrobe pretty much only contains shades of pink) so I was trying to find other colors. I will find a good mix for you, but I'm so happy to know you aren't opposed to pink. :)

    ReplyDelete