Background

Friday, August 5, 2011

Unphotographed Events

I've not taken too many pictures lately, but that is not to say I have not done some fun things here. A couple weeks ago I went to Bethany Beach with a group of friends. It's in Delaware and is supposed to take about 3 1/2 hours to reach. The car I was in left about 6:15 am and we arrived at 11. The car that left about 7:30 pulled in the same time we did. There was a bad accident on the highway and they were routing everyone off it in the early morning, so we had major delays. Nonetheless, when we finally got there, it was a fabulous day! It was one of the most scorchingly hot weeks of the whole year and I think that Saturday the heat index was at about 112. Miserable, right? But yet, a great day to play in the ocean. I didn't get burned at all this time--perhaps part of that is because it was just too hot to lay out on a towel. I meant to take at least a few pictures, but when I got my camera out I found that the battery was dead. So unfortunately, the day went by enjoyed but undocumented.

To this point my blog mostly contains all the fun things I've done here, but I might as well put in a little about work too, since that's where I spend a lot of time. This may be the only post about my job though. I'm working at a corporate office for a company that does mobile health care, primarily dental. I'm working as the office administrator and fulfilling roles as the HR assistant as well. For the most part, its a good job. I sit at the front desk, answer phones, schedule appointments, keep the office supplies stocked, and assist with a lot of the paperwork involved in HR. Sometimes its a bit slow though, so I try to find productive ways to use my down time. Sometimes I read books or talks online, write in my journal, or update my blog. I really have no complaints about my work except that I've found I really miss teaching my ESL classes. I loved that job because I felt like I could really put my personality into it. Needless to say, while I am grateful for the job I have now, I think I would like to get back into the ESL/literacy/education field at some point.

As mentioned before, I do some reading while at work, but also during my lunch break. I love to go sit outside in this little park across the street and eat my lunch and read. Occasionally its been too hot to go out, but they keep this office so cold sometimes that I've usually got to warm up for at least a little while! As a Humanities major I think I was always reading something, but it has been really fun this summer to choose the things I read for myself and have time to read for pleasure. I'm even part of a small bookclub of some friends here. I've also joined Goodreads.com to help me keep track of the books I've read and the ones I want to read, but here's an overview of what I've read lately.

Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens: I hadn't read this since I was a sophmore in high school so there was a lot I didn't remember. It was a great read taking place during the middle of the French revolution. The end was one of the most exciting I've ever read in classic literature. Well done, Dickens! I originally checked this out from the library on CD because I have a fairly long commute to work each day (abt. 40 minutes) and I got so tired of listening to the same mindless music all the time. But I ended up actually reading it towards the end because I wanted to finish and not wait until I was in my car! I also started carpooling to work, so listening to a book on CD didn't work quite as well.

History of Love, by Nicole Krauss: This was a really interesting book. It's probably not something I would have picked up on my own, but it was chosen for book club this time. I enjoyed it, but I have a bit of a hard time saying what exactly it's about. Basically, there are three main characters and they all have ties to a book called The History of Love. Though separate and distinct, they all connect in a way too. I think some of the prevailing themes of the book are identity, lonliness, fulfillment, friendship and of course, love.

Over the last few weeks I've also read The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Atonement by Ian McEwan, The Alchemist by Paul Coelho, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I've enjoyed each of them, each for different reasons.

Sorry, no pictures for this post. I know it will probably get skipped in reading. It's like a cookbook with no pictures. If you can't see how good something looks, you probably won't take the time to even look at the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment