Background

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fall Festivities


 There has been a myriad of activities this fall to keep my life lively and fun. Mid-October we had a ward activity on a Saturday morning. We drove up to a pumpkin farm and picked out a bunch of pumpkins we could take home and carve for FHE. There was a great turnout at the activity and we had a lot of fun!


The next Monday we all met at the church for an pumpkin carving extravaganza. There were all kinds of creations made. Dan and I worked together and modeled ours after a famous piece of artwork. Now, I don't exactly think I have a lot of expertise in crafting masterpieces from squash, but "The Scream" by Edvard Munch turned out pretty nicely, I thought.


And it's even better with a candle in it!


The weekend before Halloween, there was a multi-stake YSA dance up at the building next to the temple. Karin and I decided we would go. We needed costumes but had no ideas. About 20 min before we were going to leave, we were wandering around Safeway and I was reminiscing about past costumes I'd seen. I saw these cool spiders and it reminded me about how one year James was a bag of trash. Out loud I mused that I could do that costume and I wondered if we had black trash bags at home, or only white trash bags. That sparked an idea and we decided we could run to the thrift store for Karin and we could go as two forms of white trash. I thought it was a clever costume. Although, unfortunately, many people just thought I came as a pregnant woman, which was not quite what I was going for.


But back to pumpkin masterpieces, I did see a pretty impressive display in Vienna this year. There is a house that puts on a great show with nearly 300 carved pumpkins.Apparently it has been a tradition for a number of years. Ryan Nokes and I went to see them and here are a few of my favorites.

"Starry, Starry Night," Classic Van Gogh
Van Gogh and his "Cafe Terrace at Night"

No comments:

Post a Comment