Haha, subtle reference? Actually, there happens to be a town about 45 minutes away named Nokesville and we've considered moving down that direction one day... This Christmas has been a very busy season, but we are really enjoying it. When Ryan left for our business training I got busy getting the house ready for Christmas. I made a cute Christmas wreath for the front door, set up all the decorations we had (which was small), and I had the idea that it would be fun to make gingerbread houses with my brother Dan and this wonderful girl that I'm pretty sure you could say they are dating. :) Sometimes it's hard to get him to say things how they really are. :) We had them over to our place and we made some wonderful creations. Ryan was a little nervous about this activity, especially after our gingerbread men making/decorating while in Utah. He really doesn't like doing things with his hands that require fine motor skills or attention to delicate details. Nevertheless he agreed to the activity if we could work together to build something and he didn't have to do it on his own. I told him that's exactly what I had in mind. (Plus we were hoping to help Dan along in the dating process and get to know his girl more!)
I think Dan and Erin probably win for creativity on this one. They created a very cool truck and the wheels were gingerbread cookies! (The sprinkles and holding the truck up while the icing dries and hardens.)
Ryan and I created a fortress and we were both pleased with how it turned out. Ryan said it was the first time he has ever been able to transform his vision into what actually got made. That's the power of a true love marriage, my friends. We are better together than we would ever be alone! The evening was great and we can't wait to have them over again.
Here's our very first Christmas tree! We love it, although it may be a little sad. We had some people cut it down for us in southern Virginia and bring it to us fresh. It smelled wonderful in our little place. We were a little stumped at first where to put it in the house, but we ended up moving one of the bar stools into another room and we were able to put it on the tile between the kitchen and living room. We didn't have quite enough lights, so instead of wrapping them around the tree, we just strung them back and forth across the front of the tree. Luckily it's a little hard to tell that in the picture. Also, we were able to get some of my Christmas ornaments from my parents when we went to Utah at the beginning of the month, otherwise we may have had a very bare tree!
We stayed in Virginia for Christmas and had a perfect first year together. We slept in until 10, then we got up and opened presents. We started a tradition that we intend to continue of making Christmas morning crepes. It was just perfect. I was so happy to have the time together that was just "us." Then around 2 pm we went over to Ryan's parents' house and spent the rest of the afternoon over there with them. It was so nice. We were glad to be able to spend some time with his family on the holiday. I started a puzzle over there, which was pretty funny because his family are NOT puzzle people. They seemed almost a little mystified at how it can be an enjoyable activity. But I love doing them, especially at the holidays. And that's a tradition I'm not willing to give up. :) They even ended up joining me on part of it and together we were able to tackle it by the end of the next day.
No comments:
Post a Comment