Background

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

No job, New job

The painting company has gone gangbusters and is growing like crazy. We can hardly keep up. Every night Ryan and I are working til 10:30 or 11:00 and falling into bed exhausted, just to do it again the next day. And still, we were missing things, making mistakes, and having problems. We decided we needed to make a scheduling change. For the last year, I've been teaching ESL at a school about 25 minutes from our place. I'd teach 9-1:30, then most days I had 2-4 piano lessons in the afternoon, then I'd work the painting company with Ryan in the evenings. It was just too much.

At the beginning of June, I left my teaching job to have more time to work on the business with Ryan. It was sad to leave my students and some of my co-workers. I've never had such a great set of co-workers as I did at Columbia College. I loved talking with them and hanging out during our break time. And the students all work so hard and I got such validation from them. I'll miss that too. There's something great about being told by your class full of Asians that you are the beautiful teacher and that you are their favorite. (I've always loved being the favorite!)

The painting company is a LOT of work, but what I love most is that I get to spend most everyday just working with Ryan. We love that aspect of owning our own business! I'm getting a hands-on business education as we discuss marketing ideas, operations problems and solutions, finance, profitability, sales, and on and on. Although it was a leap of faith for me to leave my job, we felt like it was the right thing to do. Since my job was only part time, it wasn't that much income and we decided that working together we could probably produce enough of an improvement in leads and profitability to make up for what I would no longer bring in. It's a challenge, but we're learning together!

No comments:

Post a Comment