| Chocolate Mousse Toffee Crunch Cake |
Background
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Erin's Incredible Birthday Cake
This is perhaps one of the most delicious cakes I've ever made. Or eaten. It's a cake I've been wanting to make for a LOOOOONG time, but finally had an occasion, as well as all the ingredients in my house at the same time! It was my new sister-in-law's birthday, so Ryan and I went over to wish Erin a happy birthday and celebrate with her and some friends.
I didn't create the recipes for all this, but cobbled it together from a few places. It was inspired by a recipe in my Our Best Bites cookbook, which is one of my most favorite cook books. However, that recipe said to use a box cake, and the mousse recipe called for ingredients I didn't have. So I took the idea, and used this Extreme Chocolate Cake recipe, and this Martha Stewart Chocolate Mousse recipe. It was layered in this order: Cake, chocolate mousse, toffee bits, cake, chocolate ganache, toffee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've made that cake (they way it says in Our Best Bites) a couple of times. It is always delicious and feels super fancy. However, every time I make it I remember what happened the very first time I made it...Brockton and I each had one small slice and then I was putting it away in the fridge and the pan slipped out of my hand and the cake went all over the floor. I was horrified! I looked at Brockton and then ran out of the room so I wouldn't burst into tears! He was super sweet and cleaned it all up.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your cake with your different substitutions turned out well though! What an awesome birthday surprise. I love your cake stand, it's super pretty!
That's a really, really sad story, because that cake is amazing. I need someone to have a birthday so I can make it again!
Delete